Friday 24 January 2014

Review of Jim Maginn's exhibition 'The Light of Other Days'

I found Jim Maginn's traditional music inspired collection 'The Light of Other Days' to give an insight into Irish musicians and their own personal stories through his use of black and white photography.
What I like most about Maginn's photography is his ability to clearly show the emotions of his characters in each photograph.  Each photograph is in black and white which allows for them all to look somewhat similar.

The photograph that struck me most was that of musician Tommy Keenan holding his fiddle.  With the black background I found the musician to stand out and catch my attention more than any other photos.  What I find interesting about this photograph is his expression which is blank, with him neither smiling nor frowning.
The way in which he holds his fiddle allows us to think he is preparing to play.  This would explain his blank expression as he looks to be intensely concentrated on what he is about to do.

'Musician Tommy Keenan' by Jim Maginn


No comments:

Post a Comment